Sunday, November 7, 2010

To NaNoWriMo or not to NaNoWriMo


So I went ahead and signed up for National Novel Writing Month this year.  I went to the website and publicly declared that I will write 50,000 words in November. 

Well, it's not going so well.

First of all, who am I kidding?  I have five kids. :)
Next, I have other writerly things that I need to do, such as deadlines for my newspaper and magazine articles. 
Not to mention that I love reading and I can't possibly put my books down for an entire month. 
And then I have to review said books and blog about them.
And did I mention that I have five kids?

I know, not good excuses. 

So I am going to continue my NaNoWriMo quest, but tweak it to accomplish my own goals.

Maggie Steifvater and Julie Kagawa both make impressive arguements for the pros and cons of NaNo. 

Maggie says that we should set goals but not everyone can write a beautiful novel in 30 days.  She says, "Give yourself a deadline, sure, but how about one that is not Sheer Insanity Farewell My Home Life and Bathroom Breaks?" Read her article here

Julie argues that NaNo lets writers write crap.  She says, "NaNo frees me from the inner critic and lets me just write whatever comes to mind." Read her article here. 

I agree with both of them. 

Now back to writing...