Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What authors have influenced you as a writer?

Over at David Farland's Writer Group is a thread discussing what authors have been an influence in the posters' writing journey.  I find that most of the group are fantasy buffs and so my list will probably be seen as immature.  I am a YA reviewer, after all.

So here's my list. 

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
I would love to be able to tell a story like this one-interesting and fun to read, but with an idea weaved into the threads of the plot so carefully that the message punches me in the gut when I am not looking.


Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
Her ability to immerse readers in her characters is enviable

Love Comes Softly by Janette Oke
A historical romance that is sweet and inspiring.

Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery-how I wish I had created Anne, such a tremendous character (just ask Annette Lyon, she know's what I'm talking about).

Orson Scott Card because of Ender’s Game and Speaker for the Dead, but also his book Characters and Viewpoint.

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling for her tremendous world building.

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden.
His imagery is breathtaking and perfect for each scene.